Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Travel Log


I love traveling! If I had a lot of money, that's what I would do. Travel the world, meet new people, explore different cultures, learn new languages. It's so exciting to be on the road. Everything you own is cramped into the backpack on your shoulders and you feel like the richest person in the whole world. I almost died on that trip, and yet the 10 months when I was traveling in Mexico, Cuba, Belize and California were the best 10 months of my life so far.

The cover for my Travel Log was a leftover from a book arts workshop I took a while ago. I just never put a signature in. I found it and it was perfect for this weeks Found Art Tuesday theme. In November last year I made the fabulous discovery that there is a treasury of patterns hiding on the back of all the stamps I have. Since then I've been collecting envelope linings, the insides of envelopes that is. For me envelopes and stamps are symbols of travel and I use a lot of stamps in my artwork. The tell stories of different cultures and different times, and they have traveled the world.

I used pieces of envelopes to create some sort of map as a signature for my book, then I added names of places I would love to visit.
I've been going through some sort of identity crisis lately... naaa maybe not crisis. More of a search, I guess. Trying to figure out who I am, where I come from and where I belong. And one thing I have figured out: Home is where your heart is, and that doesn't have to be a place... it might well be on the road or just with a special person that shares my values, ideals and world view.

Are you home yet?

1 comment:

Rosa Murillo said...

I love the idea and all the textures! I may have some envelopes to send you for your collection.