Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Rebel


Sorry, if I seemingly abandoned the Found Art Tuesday community. You can find out why if you read a little further down, my last three posts... but now I'm back on track! :o)
I wouldn't really consider myself a rebel. But I have opinions and ideals and I stand up for them.
One thing strongly believe in is being the change you want to see. I hear a lot of people complaining about this and that, but they don't want to change their own patterns and conveniences. A lot of people also think that they don't make a difference, although there are soooo many single persons who DID make a difference. And when you bring them up they say "Oh Gandhi, well that was different..." Different how? He was willing to give up something of himself for a greater good. That different. But we're too obsessed with ourselves and our own problems. Every once in a while though something moves us... a movie, a song, or news reports. And we change something... we start buying locally, we buy organic, we change our lightbulbs. And you know what - it works! WE CAN change something. YOU can make a difference. There are 300 million people in the US for crying out loud. People just have to hear things over and over again to believe them (that's why advertising works...). Think milk is good for you? Have you ever thought about WHY you THINK that? Because you heard it over and over again - from the people who are trying to sell you milk. Got pus? Milk does! (haha, I just had to put that in there...:o) )

Anyway. I don't believe in the way we "produce" our food. Factory farming, genetically modified corn, soybeans, wheat..., processing till no nutrition and life is left in it and then microwave the heck out of it...

For me living vegan is not only about not eating animals. It's about treating others the way you want to be treated. It's a lifestyle of kindness and compassion. It's about awareness. Knowing what your consuming, where it comes from and how it was produced, not only food... but also everything else you buy, from your toothpaste to your shoes.

I don't want to take myself out of this. I'm not better. I too buy processed food out of convenience, or buy non-organic sometimes because it's cheaper... and plastic is just all over the place. It's not about giving up living and crawling back into the cage and live from love and sunshine - it's about being aware, wanting to change and changing - one step at the time.

It's very liberating, too. Just like making art and leaving it behind for somebody else. Once you give up something, you'll notice that you don't need or want it anymore. And once you give it all up, it is all yours.

My piece for this week is a refridgerator magnet and I'm not sure where I'm going to leave it behind... some restaurant maybe...

off to some vegan sushi now... :o)

1 comment:

Kathy L said...

Pacha

I soooo agree with you. I have been trying to make little changes over the last couple of years and really feel that I am doing my part to better the environment. If we all made one little change, say by purchasing energy efficient light bulbs, just think of the energy we could save.... We do have the power to change our environment...we just have to believe that and dig in!

k

PS..I love your magnet..great way to make a comment.